Sunday, June 19, 2011

Blueberry Lemon Scones

As promised to a friend here is my "oh so yummy" blueberry lemon scones. I served this just recently at my sister in law's baby shower. I had one of the best compliments when my cousin said "I cant stand scones and I love these, can I have the recipe", then someone said "I dont like blueberries and these are delicious" so I take these to be the scones that give scones and blueberries a good name again! haha 

I make these with frozen blueberries (whether they be fresh or in a bag) it is still good to freeze them because as most everyone knows the colder the scones are the better when you are making the dough, so I find, this is just a nice trick! (can be a little messy but also helps keep the blueberries from mashing up)

Enjoy! 

2 1/2 cups baking mix 
1/4 cup sugar 
1/2 stick unsalted butter VERY COLD 
2 large eggs 
1/4 cup milk 
1/2 cup blueberries 
all purpose flour, for work surface 
1 cup confectioners sugar 
lemon juice 
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F


Scones:
Whisk together the baking mix and sugar in a large bowl. Mix in the butter with your hands or a blender until the butter is the size of peas. Beat the eggs well with the 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine until just blended. Do not over mix.

Gently fold in the blueberries. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and pat into a 3/4-inch thick square. Cut into 4 squares, then cut each square into 2 triangles. Arrange the scones on an ungreased baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
 Remove to a wire rack and let cool a bit before glazing.


Glaze:

Whisk together the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla until smooth. Pour evenly over the warm scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment