Sunday, June 5, 2011

Easy Strawberry Jam

Well in honor of my sweet niece being born today, I figured I would let the secret out.... so many of you have wanted my recipe for the EASIEST and mouth watering jam. (I apologize for the terrible picture, but I wanted something)

The only time I have made jam for "the public" is when I do a shower (mostly baby showers) So I put the homemade jam in baby food jars and then make a special label. My printer was broken so this sticker my step sister actually had to come to my rescue and make (thanks mo, if you have a picture of Tanner's Jam, please post it)

Normally I make a big batch of this for myself and keep it for myself so I guess I should share!

Enjoy!



3 pints fresh strawberries
3 cups superfine sugar
The zest and juice of one orange (or for adults 2 tablespoons of Grand Marnier)
1 Granny Smith Apple (peeled, cored and small-diced)
1/2 cup fresh blueberries

Hull and cut strawberries, place in a deep, heavy-bottomed pot and toss with sugar and orange juice.

Bring the berry mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Add the apple and blueberries and continue to keep the mixture at a rolling boil, stirring occasionally, until jam reaches 220degrees on a candy thermometer (I have made this twice without one so it normally takes 20-30 minutes to reach this temp) Skim and discard any foam that rises to the top. Depending on how you like your jam, smash the mixture with the spatula or potato masher for smooth jam or leave it for more rustic.  Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature and then store covered in the refrigerator. Will last around 2-4 weeks. To keep the jam longer, pack and seal in canning jars according to the manufacturer's instructions.

YUM! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment